FAIRFIELD, Calif. (AP) — Prosecutors on Thursday added four charges of lewd conduct against a father accused of torturing his children in a Northern California home where prosecutors say 10 children lived in filth and neglect.
Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, facing numerous allegations of sexual assault and abuse, is set to turn himself in to police Friday morning, according to multiple US media reports. The former executive of Miramax was accused by several actresses - including Salma Hayek, Lupita Nyong’o, and Ashley Judd - of sexual harassment. At least 75 women have come forward accusing him of misconduct of some kind, reported first by the New York Times last year.
Investigators probing the 2014 downing of flight MH17 said Thursday for the first time that the missile which brought down the plane over eastern Ukraine originated from a Russian military brigade. The Joint Investigation Team "has come to the conclusion that the BUK-TELAR that shot down MH17 came from 53rd Anti-aircraft Missile Brigade based in Kursk in Russia," top Dutch investigator Wilbert Paulissen said.
Six families of victims killed in one of America's worst mass shootings have filed a lawsuit against conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who has claimed the massacre days shortly before Christmas 2012 never happened. Twenty small children and six adults were killed in less than five minutes on December 14, 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, by 20-year-old killer Adam Lanza who then turned the gun on himself. A Connecticut law firm filed the defamation lawsuit in Bridgeport on Wednesday accusing Jones, his far-right website Infowars, other financial backers, one of his guests and another associate of greed in peddling their campaign.
Iran’s supreme leader has threatened to pull his country out of the nuclear deal and resume enriching uranium if European countries do not promise to buy Iranian oil and to oppose all new US sanctions against Tehran. Three days after US secretary of state Mike Pompeo delivered America’s extensive list of demands of Iran for a new nuclear agreement, Ayatollah Khamenei laid out his own demands of European countries for Iran to stay in the 2015 deal. “If the Europeans hesitate in responding to our demands, Iran is entitled to resuming its nuclear activities,” he said in a statement. The sweeping demands are likely to be rejected by Britain, France and Germany - diminishing the already narrow hopes of saving of the 2015 nuclear agreement. The ayatollah made five demands of the European countries. He called on them to “guarantee the total sales of Iran’s oil”, meaning that Europe must promise to make up for any oil sales from third countries which are cancelled because of US sanctions. Such a guarantee would potentially cost Europe billions of dollars. Mike Pompeo Iran demands The ayatollah said European banks “must guarantee business transactions with the Islamic Republic”, even in the face of US sanctions. European banks that continue to deal with Iran in the face of US restrictions could be blacklisted and frozen out of the American financial system. He called on the Europeans to issue a UN security council resolution condemning Donald Trump’s decision to leave the Iran deal and said Europea “must confront imposition of any sanctions on the Islamic Republic and stand firmly against US sanctions on Iran”. Finally, he said the Europeans “must guarantee it will not raise the issue of the Islamic Republic's missiles and regional affairs”. The ayatollah may have staked out a deliberately maximalist position to give more room for the Iranian foreign minister, Javad Zarif, to appear conciliatory in his own meetings with the Europeans to try to save the nuclear agreement. Mr Zarif and other reformist figures with the Iranian regime are eager to preserve the deal, while more hardline politicians and elements with the Revolutionary Guard want to see it scrapped. The supreme leader has the final decision. Javad Zarif, the Iranian foreign minister, is on a diplomatic mission to preserve the Iran deal Credit: REUTERS/Francois Lenoir But if Iran’s real red lines are even close to the sweeping demands made by the ayatollah it is unlikely that the Europeans will be able to satisfy Tehran. A Foreign Office spokeswoman did not directly address the ayatollah's demands but said the UK, along with the EU, "continues to view the nuclear deal as a vital factor in our shared security". "We have raised with the US the need to make allowance for continued economic ties between Europe and Iran to ensure we can meet our obligations under the deal,” a spokeswoman said. The two positions staked out this week - one by Mr Pompeo and the other by Ayatollah Khamenei - leave a narrow and treacherous path for European diplomats as they try to salvage the 2015 agreement. Mr Pompeo said the US would inflict the "strongest sanctions in history” on Iran unless it agreed to 12 American demands, including withdrawing from Syria and halting its funding of militant groups like Hizbollah and Hamas. Iran’s government flatly rejected Mr Pompeo’s list of demands. “Who are you to decide for Iran and the world?” said Hassan Rouhani, the Iranian president. European countries also expressed scepticism about Mr Pompeo’s plan to merge a nuclear agreement with broader issues about Iran’s missile systems and its behaviour in the Middle East. Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, said “a new jumbo Iran negotiation” would be very difficult to achieve and said the world should stick with the 2015 agreement instead.
Mercedes-AMG has now completed the final piece of its inline-six powered midsize jigsaw with the reveal of the AMG E53 sedan, which utilises the same 3.0-litre turbocharged inline-six also found in the CLS53 and E53 coupe and convertible models. The engine under the hood of the 2019 Mercedes-AMG E53 sedan also produces the same 429 horsepower and 384 lb.-ft. of torque as it does elsewhere, but perhaps the standout point of this powerplant is the 48-volt ultra-mild hybrid assist system it also shares with its siblings. There's only one gearbox available with the 2019 E53 sedan, but that's not a problem as it's the excellent nine-speed auto used extensively throughout the Mercedes family at the moment.
An Australian grandmother who said she was tricked into carrying drugs into Malaysia after falling for an online romance scam was Thursday sentenced to death after an earlier acquittal was overturned, her lawyer said. Maria Elvira Pinto Exposto was arrested in December 2014 while in transit at Kuala Lumpur airport with 1.1 kilos (2.4 pounds) of crystal methamphetamine stitched into the compartment of a backpack she was carrying. Anyone caught with at least 50 grams (1.75 ounces) of crystal meth is considered a trafficker in Muslim-majority Malaysia, and death by hanging is mandatory in the case of a conviction.
Amnesty International on Thursday urged Nigeria to act on claims soldiers and members of the civilian militia have raped women and girls in remote camps for people displaced by Boko Haram but the government said the rights monitor was repeating false accusations. Amnesty said it had gathered multiple testimonies about alleged abuse by the security forces, including claimed that soldiers coerced vulnerable survivors into having sex in exchange for food. In November 2016, police vowed to look into allegations of sexual abuse and exploitation in the camps but several months later, the military rejected the allegations.
A Korean Air heiress known for a "nut rage" tantrum that sparked national uproar was summoned for questioning Thursday for illegally hiring immigrants to work as maids, the latest scandal to engulf her billionaire family. Cho Hyun-ah kept her head bowed as she reported to immigration authorities in Seoul on Thursday. A series of scandals have left Korean Air chairman Cho Yang-ho and his family facing mounting scrutiny over a spate of alleged wrongdoings that have riled the public and even sparked protests by the firm's employees.
A 28-year-old woman who finally earned her “dream job” working as a grizzly bear researcher is now recovering in the hospital from serious injuries after she was attacked by one of the powerful animals
The event was billed as a roundtable “on immigration loopholes that enable MS-13 to infiltrate our communities.” But at times it almost seemed as though the purpose was to validate the president’s description of MS-13 members as “animals.”
Moses Farrow, the adopted son of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow, has sought to come to his father’s defence against allegations of sexual abuse, saying in a blog post the veteran Hollywood director did not rape his sister. Moses Farrow, who works as a therapist, was adopted from South Korea as a youngster by Mia Farrow and then also adopted by Allen in 1991. In 2014, Dylan Farrow published an op-ed in the New York Times in which she claimed the movie director had raped her in the attic of the family home.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon said Wednesday it has withdrawn an invitation for China to participate in a multinational naval exercise the U.S. is hosting this summer, a sign of fresh tension between Pacific powers.
In 1708, the San José— a Spanish galleon ship carrying a stash of gold, silver and emeralds — sank during a fierce battle against the British in the Caribbean Sea. Now, after sitting at the bottom of the ocean for 310 years, the San José's shipwreck has finally been officially identified, thanks to an analysis of the distinctive bronze cannons that sank with the ship.
A U.S. veteran of the war in Iraq on Wednesday pleaded guilty to fatally shooting five people to death at Fort Lauderdale International Airport in January 2017, in a deal approved by a federal judge that spared him the death penalty. Esteban Santiago, 28, agreed in U.S. District Court in Miami to a plea deal that calls for him to serve five consecutive life sentences followed by 120 years in prison without a right to appeal. Santiago flew from his home in Anchorage, Alaska, to Fort Lauderdale, retrieved a Walther 9mm pistol and two clips of ammunition that he had checked on the flight and opened fire near a baggage carousel.
The chief of Israel’s air force said on Tuesday that his was the first country to ever use the F-35 fighter jet in combat. “The ‘Adir’ (F-35I) aircraft are already operational and flying combat missions. In fact, we have performed the first operational F-35 strike in the world,” Major General Amikam Norkin was quoted by Israel Defense as saying.
The withdrawal of Iranian forces from Syria, demanded by the United States, is not up for discussion, a top Syrian official was quoted as saying on Wednesday, adding that Damascus was deciding on its next campaign against rebels. "Whether Iranian forces or Hezbollah withdraw or stay in Syria is not up for discussion because it's the (business) of the Syrian government," Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad said in an interview with Russia's Sputnik state news agency.
2018 might well be dubbed the year of the Mediterranean diet. Not only did it tie for the best overall diet in the U.S. News Best Diets rankings in January, but this year also marks the Mediterranean diet pyramid's 25th anniversary. Beyond being linked to a host of powerful health benefits including a reduction in heart disease risk, potential weight loss, improved brain health and longevity, much of the eating pattern's staying power can be attributed to its flexibility - there aren't entire food groups excluded, and followers don't calorie count or track macros.
(Reuters) - A high school math teacher in Kentucky rode a wave of discontent among educators on Tuesday when he defeated a rising Republican star in a primary for a seat in the state's House of Representatives. Travis Brenda, 43, pulled a 51-49 percent upset in the race for the state's 71st district seat over House Majority Floor Leader Jonathan Shell, who had the backing from U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, according to local media. Brenda said Shell called him and conceded, the Lexington Herald Leader newspaper reported.
International journalists on Wednesday set out on an arduous journey to witness the dismantlement of North Korea’s nuclear test site, Punggye-ri – an event that experts predict will be more about PR than substance. The departure of about 22 Chinese, American, Russian and British journalists, including a Sky News team, from the North Korean port city of Wonsan, was delayed in order to wait for the arrival of eight more South Korean journalists from Beijing. The South Koreans had initially been dropped from the trip after a diplomatic spat between North and South over military drills, but that decision was suddenly reversed early on Wednesday. It followed a threat from President Donald Trump that a June summit with Kim Jong-un could be called off. Journalists on the trip revealed that they face a 12 hour train ride, followed by four hours on a bus and then a two hour hike to reach the remote test site in the mountains of Kilju County, North Hamgyong province. Tom Cheshire, Sky News Asia correspondent, described a surreal first day after the first batch of journalists were flown to Wonsan on a charter flight from Beijing on Tuesday. Satellite images of the Punggye-ri test site on May 7 2018 Credit: DigitalGlobe/ScapeWare3d/DigitalGlobe/Getty Images His team’s satellite phone and radiation dosimeter – a device to measure the level of nuclear radiation they would absorb – were immediately confiscated at the airport, he revealed. “Officials assured us that the test site is completely safe so we would not need it, despite our repeated protests,” he wrote. Even after arrival, the journalists were being kept in the dark about their schedule, he continued. “What is sure is that it will be what the North Korean regime want to show. A government minder is by our side every minute.” Mr Cheshire said their hotel in the port city, which until recently was a base for artillery drills and missile launches, was intended to be a luxury resort and had the overpowering smell of fresh paint. #breaking Bus carrying South Korean journalists arrives at our hotel in Wonsan. We depart for the Punggye Ri nuclear site in a few minutes. See you when we come out! pic.twitter.com/9FsO3JHeZv— Will Ripley (@willripleyCNN) May 23, 2018 The visitors were offered a "bizarre banquet" in a large hall. “Music – a violin cover of Frank Sinatra’s My Way – was piped in. On the menu: everything from fondue to steak, as well as fried turtle and shark fin soup, and row after row of silver cutlery,” he said. “In a country that has suffered so much from famine and poverty, and which continues to suffer, it was a dislocating experience.” The journalists are expected to be able to film the dismantlement of Punggye-ri, the only active nuclear weapons test site in the world, from a viewing platform at a safe distance. The exercise is intended by Pyongyang to show good faith over a moratorium on nuclear and missiles tests that it announced in April, amid a diplomatic thaw with South Korea and ahead of a summit with President Trump in Singapore that is still planned for June 12. Since 2006, the North Korean regime has conducted six nuclear tests in tunnels beneath Mount Mantap, close to Punggye-ri. The most recent, on September 3 last year, caused a 6.3 magnitude earthquake. According to several reports, the blast, which was almost 17 times the size of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima at the end of World War II, may have caused the site to partially collapse, raising concerns about the stability of the mountain itself. In October, the Japanese media reported that a tunnel under construction had collapsed, killing up to 200 workers. North Korea’s decision to close the site has been welcomed by the US and South Korea as a positive diplomatic gesture. But scientists and nuclear experts, who have not been invited to the closing ceremony, have warned that the demolition of Punggye-ri’s tunnels will also destroy valuable evidence and data about the North’s weapons programmes. North Korea's nuclear history: key moments Cheryl Rofer, a chemist who has worked all over the world on the disassembling and decommissioning of nuclear and chemical weapons, said that much information about the country’s bombs could be gleaned by allowing experts access. “I would want to bring some capability of taking samples, and I would also want to bring a geologist with me. I’d want to have a radiation counter, I would want to go into the tunnel to see if parts of it have caved in at the back,” she told CNN. “Isotope measurements could tell you about the design of the device, it would tell you what kind of bombs they’re making, what they’re making them out of, how much uranium and plutonium is in the bombs. We might be able to infer what they’re planning and the shape of their progress,” she said.
A Pakistani exchange student killed in a mass shooting in Texas last week was buried in her home town of Karachi on Wednesday, her coffin draped with Pakistan's green and white flag. Sabika Sheikh, 17, was among eight students and two teachers killed in Texas when Santa Fe High School, southeast of Houston, on Friday joined a grim list of U.S. schools and campuses where students and staff have been gunned down, stoking a divisive debate about gun laws. Sheikh's body arrived in Pakistan on Tuesday night and the funeral was held at a graveyard near her home in Karachi in the middle class Gulshe-e-Iqbal neighborhood.